Read Mini

This blog starts for MCDM from Autumn, 2006.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Internet penetrates!

How have you used information/communication technologies over the course
of the past 2.5 days -- since snow began falling on Sunday. How has the
ubiquity of the Internet changed your behavior? In other words, in some
pre-Internet storm/event ... how did you communicate? How did you learn
about the storm/event?

Let’s enjoy the SNOW in Seattle!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-hrOT_16nU
Dear my fellow classmates, I got to share a very special experience to you yesterday. It almost froze me. Oh! Thanks god…some neighbors saw me and helped me to climb down. Or I might not to meet you in the class.
Since the snow fell from Sunday, I have not gone outside for two days even though I really want to take some photos of the snow scenery. Finally, on Tuesday morning, I was wake up by the sunshine and planned to go to my little balcony for taking graphs. When I walked out, the door to my house was automatically locked in the meantime. However, I didn’t realize this is a big deal that I cannot stay outside for 20 minutes in such a chilly weather. Anyway, I was trapped on the second floor and felt freezing. Neither cell phone nor laptop was with me. Thus I just stood there and tried to get the help.

Back to the question, even though the internet is ubiquitous, we still have to have the devices such as laptop or PDA as connections. Sometimes I am wondering that we are so familiar with technology and it really brings us convenience. But what was the world that we don’t have internet connection?

Remembering in my childhood, when the winter vacation came, I was always busy writing cards to give my regards to teachers and friends. At that time I imagined their smiles when they got my cards. It took a while for them to reply cards by real mail. However, as a matter of the fact that the information flow wasn’t so efficient, I really felt warm, treasured them and kept them in the little box in case of getting damaged. That doesn’t mean emails are not full of regards. Just a feeling and it’s hard to explain. Nowadays, emails seem taking place of cards because of the cost and speed in delivery. Nevertheless, I still use cards as communication tools to share my gratitude to someone who plays the important role in my life. Maybe it just is an old school thing and people would say it doesn’t matter if they receive the email or the cards. Either one do they feel the heart. Haha…Perhaps only the sender cares! (I care…)

To be honest, I remember the past days that we were not bonded by the emals and cell phones. Yet it is a brand-new world. Even though I was held up by snow, I can still have the lessons from the long-distance learning system. Take me for example, I downloaded some lectures from UW webTV in different topics. Nothing different from before, the only I noticed is that the information is much newer than the knowledge I read from books. On account that there are full of information on the internet, you can always forget the time you spend online.

Alright! Here is a point that I learned from this November snow: it is the sign of global warming, isn’t it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home