Read Mini

This blog starts for MCDM from Autumn, 2006.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

iTunes & podcasts

Think of some piece of technology that you have recently purchased or a piece of software or feature of an existing piece of technology that you have recently started using.

It is a very interesting topic and reminds me about my media behavior. Since September, I have been far away from my hometown and family as well for more than 2 months. During this period, MSN, skype and the most useful “international telephone” were used as communication tools. I didn’t update anything so far, so from that, you can tell my media behavior is traditional just like the older generation. My laptop is just like for typing and reading information online.

However, from my project about podcasting started, I tried to download podcasts and use iTunes to manage my music and audio files. To understand which platform audiences are willing to use, the best way is to see through this process and the answer will pop out. That is exactly what I do now. Not only using iTunes in place of Windows Media Player, but also listening to web radio is the new trial for me.

But applied to the Diffusion of Innovation Theory, I will put myself in the group of early majority. In addition to it, there are some irrelevant elements should be mentioned. One is compatibility of iTunes. Compatibility is the degree to which an innovation is perceived as being consistent with the existing values, past experience and needs of the receivers. (Rogers, 1974) Another element “complexity” is also critical to users. RSS Feed also offers a great help for me to subscribe the radio programs that I want. As a result, I switch my platform to iTunes especially in audio programs.

Last, I believe that as long as the products meet people’s needs, it is easier to be adopted. In the field of new media, the landscape is changing so fast that we have to keep in pace. Otherwise, we will be unconscious of staying behind. And there is always a point can be stressed: the purpose of using different tools is information.

1 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Blogger e-spot said...

I agree with your standpoint on iPod/podcast technlogy to some degree. The technlogical innovation of iPod has a lot to do with the diffusion of innovation theory by Everett Rogers, however, it is still in the early adopters phase of the diffusion process today. iPod had only launched five years ago (November 2001), so not everyone use the device yet. I think the user profile right now for iPod/podcast technlogy is much more visible in the younger generation. As iPod enter into the future of majority adopters phase, Apple Company's Shuffle (launched 2006) will take its rate of adoption we see today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home